Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Artist Statement

It’s intriguing how everyone is always alone, in an impenetrable place in their head, and yet it is an experience that everyone has. This is why I create art- I want to share my unique view of a life that everyone lives. The idea of unity amongst everyone in our shared life experiences, emotions, and ideas made me think that it would be interesting to investigate how different cultures have their own views on universal concepts, such as creation, human relations, life, and death. These are concepts that do not have an apparent explanation- what happens when you die?- and thus have traditionally warranted a mythological explanation. These cultural stories guided my work this year, and I started off illustrating traditional stories and putting my own take on them, which turned into me creating visual representations of the things that myths from all over have in common. By exploring this theme, I’ve been able to experiment with new techniques, form a preference for paint and graphite, and develop a more distinct style that incorporates my aesthetic inclination towards bright colors, curved shapes, and dark backgrounds. I’ve learned not to be shy about self-expression, whether that means subtle pencil drawings in the style of the Renaissance masters; strange, dreamy scenes like Dali or Ernst; or fluorescent splatters that emulate Daniel Richter. I’ve tried to mesh together my favorite styles and medias in experiments, to create something interesting while still overcoming my familiar barriers of working slowly and not having a great attention span. But I have still had achievements this year- I can see how cultures are interrelated through storytelling and how they relate to my own life, all while creating something that can filter through that isolation inside my head.

5 comments:

  1. I just surfed through and found your blog. Interesting how you perceive your work. It sounds a LOT like how a writer perceives theirs! I was wondering if I could post a link to this post, as a way of showing the connectivity of art (all kinds!) to the artist?

    Thanks,
    Kim Smith
    http://writingspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...I actually read this whole thing. and i gotta say that i didn't get a whole lot of it, probably mostly caused by my own lack of a history of deep existential thinking.

    but i get ur passion for art and its unity it serves for people. we may speak different languages, we may have different color skin, and we may have different junk in our trunks. but we can all sense something. Whether we taste the same foods, hear the same music, feel the same things (emotionally and physically), and in ur case, see the same art.

    i kinda do that in my own little way. when i go out to eat, i always ask for crayons from the kiddie menu. and while i wait for my food, i either write a story on my napkin or draw my own picture i come up with on the spot. and i leave it with the tip. and i always wonder if it gets thrown away or truly appreciated. but that's not the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Kim Smith: Sure, that would be fine! I really understand what you're trying to say; my best friend is a writer.
    To the Peanut Butter Blur: Judging by your response, you don't seem to have a lack of deep thinking. :) And crayons are always fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete