Monday, April 27, 2009

Waiting

-February-

This is the second painting I did, expressing some people's views that fairy tales (in this culture, often featuring a damsel in distress who is rescued by a prince charming) are unrealistic and negatively affect young girls, making them think that they should just wait around to be saved instead of working hard to get the life they want. Although I don't share this idea, I wanted to illustrate it while playing with common symbols in storytelling. For example, I used the common symbol of a desert representing emptiness and a spiritual void and altered it to be a prairie, a semi-arid desert, instead. I also had to use lots of different painting techniques: I used blending on the sky so it would change from a light shade to a darker shade of blue, impasto on the clouds and gravel to give them a more interesting and realistic texture, many layers of watered-down acrylic paint to make the different shades of the prairie grass (which took the most time and patience out of everything), and a single strand of hair from a brush to make the deatails on the girl, like her eyes, eyebrows, and individual strands of hair. Overall, I like how this helped the color, value and texture in the piece and generated more visual interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment