Monday, April 27, 2009

Microcosm


-January-

This piece is an experiment with combining medias and using repetition. To do this, I first shaded everything with graphite and then tinted it using watercolor. The most difficult part of this was deciding on the composition, because I had to figure out how many parts, of what size, and put together in what way would look the best, and also where the different subjects should be put so that they look good but aren't too close to subjects in the other parts. Another hard part was consistency of color and texture, and even after many trials you can see that the orange slice on the left has more color saturation than the orange on the right. But in the end, I think that my message is apparent, since the repetition makes it clear that I'm showing the orange and the flowers as reflections on the moon. The connection to my theme is less easily guessed, but I used common mythological symbolism in the repeated round shape to show unity and the life cycle, and to hint at the idea that stories are reflections of life that are similar but not necessarily that true to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment